Saturday, January 3, 2009

How Not to be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler

Sugar Magnolia Dempsey, aka Maggie, is always moving from one state to another never staying in one state for more that about eight months. Maggie is moving from Portland, Oregon to Austin, Texas this time and she's not excited about leaving behind another group of friends that will probably stop talking to her after a few months of her move. To stop the endless losses of friends Maggie decides to be so uncool any smart person would want to stay away from her. Maggie is going to begin Operation Avoid Friends (OAF) when she starts her new school.

On the first day of school Maggie goes in just her normal clothes and meets Miles who is one of the most popular guys in the school. Maggie also meets Caitlyn, Shanna, and Sharla who are part of the Austin Belles. Since Maggie is trying to stay away from the popular crowd she ignores Miles, and decides her normal clothes have to change and she'll have to totally commit to wearing the ugliest outfits she can find from the store her dad is running for his one friend.

Even though Maggie is dressing like a total moron she meets friends that she thinks she won't miss when she leaves for her next destination, but she starts to like the people that she would have avoided if she wanted to be popular. Maggie now has to avoid Miles and the Austin Belles to keep her plan in motion while trying not to get close to the people that don't care about her clothes.

I thought that How Not to be Popular was a great book and I would recommend it to anyone. Maggie was a really interesting character. I thought some of the things she came up with to avoid getting hurt and losing more friends were hilarious. I loved that Maggie was never afraid to do something completely weird like dive into a duck pond with all of her clothes on. Maggie is full of spunk and is a really lovable character.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Laurel!

    Welcome to the blogging world! My blog is www.52booksand52weeks.blogspot.com and I'll definitely be following you! Great first review, and I'll have to check this out!

    Best,

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds great. I'm going to check it out for myself. I'm adding you to my links. And I'll follow you. Check out my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a little bit about this book, I'll add it to my tbr list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book. I can't wait until Zeigler publishes another book. :]

    hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one!

    PS I love your blog...I'm following you now! (:

    ReplyDelete