Monday, February 2, 2009

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Katniss Everdeen is living in a household of 3 girls a goat and a cat. Katniss needs to hunt and trade to keep her family alive. Since the woods are forbidden for the people of the 12 districts to go into Katniss and Gale have to make sure not to let any people know that they are hunting in there.

It's reaping day! Two tributes will be picked to play in the anual Hunger Games that the capitol holds to keep the 12 districts in line. One girl and one boy ages 12-18 will be picked to participate in the games. Katniss makes sure to only let Prim, her 12 year old sister, put in only one slip. This obviously doesn't work though. Prim's name is pulled and Katniss can't let her go. Katniss volunteers to go for Prim.

When the games start Katniss has to survive and be the last one standing to return to her district living. Katniss sees a bow and arrow when the games are about to start. Although Katniss doesn't make it to the bow and arrow she does get a backpack filled with essential things that she needs to stay alive. Who knew the backpack she randomly grabbed could come in so much handy with it's sleeping bag, crackers, water bottle, and water purifying tablets. Katniss makes 2 alliances total. She also makes many enemies which are known as the careers. The careers are the people who train for the games in their districts, the districts who have careers are usually the districts that are bigger suck-ups to the capitol though.

I loved this book! It was amazing. Although part of the reason I read it was because it was recommended by Stephanie Meyer (who if you don't already know is the author of the amazing Twilight saga) on her website. It was also recommended to me by my sister Hillary, she said it was amazing. Now, I'm recommending it to everyone, because I thought it was so amazing and It's totally worth reading, so if you see it in a book store and you don't already have it I highly recommend you pick that book up. Then walk right up to the cashier to pay for it. Then you go home and read it. Trust me though, I don't normally tell people to do that so I guess this has to be a pretty amazing book if I'm telling you that.

I'm very excited for the release of Catching Fire which is the next in the series. This book is on my top favorite books along with Twilight by Stephanie Meyer, Private by Kate Brian, and How NOT to be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler. Even though sometimes this book made me sad and then happy, and it kind of made me feel bipolar (even though I'm not), I still loved it so much and I can't wait for the rest of the series to come out.

3 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read this one for a while! Definitly going to read it soon. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review! It sounds good. When I first heard about it, I thought....uh, not my thing. But now I'm thinking of giving it a chance...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my favourite book of last year! I don't have a bad thing to say about it, it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete