Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Geography of Girlhood by Kirsten Smith

Okay so I'm not completely sure how to write a review of this so I'm going to use the summary from the cover.

As the ferry coasts into downtown,
All lit up and windy and magic,
I realize kids who grow up in cities
must never dream of
going anywhere else
because they're already there.

Penny Morrow is ready to escape the pocket of home, ready to be in love, ready to find her way in the world. Navigating the choppy waters of her life, she confronts the complicated truths of her not-quite-normal family, the highs and lows of high school, her lost mother and her lost best friend, and one alluring bad boy who just might be more adventure than she bargained for.

Written in raw, captivating verse, Kirsten Smith's powerful debut novel explores the heartbreak and humor of what it really mean to be a girl stumbling toward adulthood without a map.

I personally thought this book was completely confusing. The main character's name isn't even mentioned until page 23 and frankly I couldn't remember her name I had to keep going back to the one section to find it. Also it is written in verse which I always find confusing. On the upside though if you are looking for a quick read this is very fast to read. I read this during the school year and I got through it in two nights and I usually have a lot of homework. It's 184 pages. Although as you can see I found it very hard to write a summary of it and had to use the summary on the cover of the book.

This book did get several good reviews from great authors which are on the back so it might just be me that doesn't understand the storyline. Most of the reviews on the back say that it is very real and I do agree with that. Also Penny is fourteen so that might have been another reason for me not liking it because I'm fourteen and I'm just not really interested in reading about what goes on in my own life or at least some of the stuff that goes on because my life isn't that much like Penny's life. Well I'm not going to recommend it but I'm also not going to say to not go out and buy it.

2 comments:

  1. Well, it sounds like a suckish book. So thank you. You may have saved me a night of reading plus the money I would have to spend in order to read it. Now I know better.
    Thanks for being honest! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I hate it when a review gives the book a good review even if it's bad. I apretiate your honesty. I have an award for you at my blog http://eatsleepdanceread.blogspot.com/2009/06/in-my-mailbox-9.html

    ReplyDelete